Search This Blog and Its Links

Monday, January 18, 2010

What Can We Offer?




Very often we encounter people who are deep in a personal struggle. Sometimes they tell us about it and sometimes they don't. If we determine that this troubled one has a spiritual background, we can suggest a meditation or prayer. I have taken it upon myself to start collecting brief passages from the Old Testament, which can be appropriate for almost any faith or denomination. These verses jumped out at me this morning:

Psalm 25:16-18 (NRSV translation)

Turn to me and be gracious to me,
for I am lonely and afflicted.
Relieve the troubles of my heart,
and bring me out of my distress.
Consider my affliction and my trouble,
and forgive all my sins.


I can think of past experiences when I wish I had this at hand. This would have been perfect for the moment, especially if the person and I could have said this out loud together. I have been told by hospital chaplains that they find the Psalms to be a rich resource for offering comfort to people from a variety of religious backgrounds, and I agree with that!

I going to have some cards printed up with this one!

God's peace,
Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment